Sorry it's been so long, but I am very happy to finally be at an internet cafe. Gotta make this quick though...
This week we did screening clinics in the town surrounding our "home base." We saw around 400 patients and we students got to take height and weight, calculate BMI, take blood pressure, and prick fingers for iron and blood glucose tests. We did the clinics in a church, markets, and in a random patch of open concrete.
It was a bit of an emotionally draining week, but Friday was Republic Day in Ghana so we did not work and we had a free weekend. The whole group travelled to the beach together. We stayed at a cute little lodge in the middle of nowhere near a couple small fishing villages. We were in dorm style rooms with bunk beds, but let me tell you, we were living the life of luxury: palm trees, hamocks, beach, sunshine, other Obronis, American food, getting to eat lunch (yippee!!), and... (drumroll please...) a real genuine shower! Paradise found! It was very relaxing and good to recharge our batteries.
Tomorrow we start our rotations through the children's hospital in Accra. I am not sure which departments I'll be in yet, but I am looking forward to it.
I'll update soon when I have more time! Love from Ghana!
I'm thoroughly enjoying following your blog, and wishing you all the best,thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete