Thursday, July 14, 2011

Stress in the City

This week we have been in Takoradi doing more community screening clinics.  We have seen around 1,000 people in 4 days, so it has been busy.  There are a surprising number of people with high blood pressure here and at first I wondered why since people often think of it as being linked to the American lifestyle.  One reason that hypertension is so common is because exercise is not a part of the culture.  This week I witnessed another cause: stress.  Of course, I knew that all the noise, traffic, and poverty cause stress, but this week we experienced that some people here just need to calm down!  On Tuesday people were yelling, arguing, and pushing each other off the waiting bench in an attempt to get to be first in line.  Today people were yelling, crowding around us, cutting in line (causing even more yelling), and nearly rioting about having to wait.  When we had to announce that we could not see any more people, hell (nearly) broke loose.  In my own selfish mind, I have thought "we are trying to help these people by giving them free healthcare. Can't they just be grateful?!"  However, I just remind myself that the reason they are so pushy is because their need for healthcare is so great and they don't want to miss their chance.  Other causes of stress this week have been a team member who has been ill and another girl's book bag (full of valuables) being stolen during our clinic work.

Despite the aforementioned bumps in the road, there have been some reasons to smile this week.  One patient in the clinic asked me about her "blood pleasure." Her attempt at English made me chuckle.  Today when I went to the hospital to accompany someone, I saw a man who had visited our screening clinic earlier in the week and was in the outpatient department to follow up as was advised.  It's nice to see that our work is having an effect.  I also had a little chuckle at the hospital's version of wheelchairs:  white plastic lawn chairs mounted on wheels (and yes, I am quite serious.)

Gotta run!  More updates later! Love from Ghana!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha Love the white, plastic lawn chairs! It makes Barbie Beach seem so "normal". (so what if Batman attended the royal wedding) Thanks for sharing your experiences. It makes me remember how blessed I am and how great the needs are. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete