Friday, July 8, 2011
An angel named Joseph
A little boy named Joseph captured my heart today. He has been at the Children's Hospital for 3 weeks for malnutrition so severe that his skin is peeling and he is incredibly weak. I picked him up and he snuggled into my shoulder and buried his head in my neck. When I tried to put him down, he began crying so I held him again while he was fed some "plumpy-nut" (500 calorie peanut butter-like paste that's fortified with extra protein, vitamins, etc.) The dietitian looked in the drawers beside his crib and found that his mother had stashed away 17 bags of plumpy-nut instead of feeding them to him. Her child is slowly dying of starvation and she is not giving him the free food given to her in order to save his life. When she came back to the ward and they confronted her, she just laughed. It was disgusting. It is so difficult to avoid judging her, but at the same time it's so difficult to understand how a mother could do that to her little child. To top it all off, she is pregnant. I wanted to take Joseph home with me to love him and protect him. I heard one time that 30,000 children die every day of preventable causes. That's 30,000 beautiful kids who are as precious as the little boy that now has my heart. Putting him down and leaving the hospital was so difficult today. Please pray that he will survive (and thrive) and that his mother will change. Life is so unfair and I wish I could fix it for that sweet little angel boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Give him a squeeze for me. I love working with children and I am glad that someone else in my family shares a similar passion. You are an amazing human being and I love that you are going out into the world and making a difference! I bought a bag last week that has a saying on it and I would to share it with you. "Just start somewhere and make a World of difference!" Good job making a world of difference Abbey. Ps. If that little boy does not survive, just know that for a brief moment you gave him comfort and showed him what love felt like......
ReplyDeleteLove you- Angie
Abbey, Your stories touch my heart. So happy that kids have you to brighten their day and make them feel loved. I worked with kids most of my life and nothing is more rewarding than to know that in some way you have touched the life of a child. Take care. Hope to see you soon. Love, Marie Stokely Davis
ReplyDelete